Companion Animals Registration

Control and registration of dogs and cats

The Companion Animals Act 1998 and the Companion Animals Regulation 2008 provide for the identification and registration of dogs and cats, how they are managed and the duties and responsibilities of their owners in NSW.

Local councils administer and enforce this legislation, as well as update registration information on the NSW Companion Animals Register. Contact Council if you have any questions about dogs, cats and the law, or to update your dog or cat's contact details on the Register

How much will lifetime registration for a cat or dog cost?

  • Desexed animal: $58

  • Breeder (Recognised) concession: $58

  • Pensioner concession (desexed animal only): $25

  • Pound/Shelter animal 50% discount (desexed): $29

  • If the registration fee has not been paid 28 days after the date on which the animal is required to be registered, a late fee of $16

  • If the companion animal has not been desexed by the relevant desexing age and is not kept by a recognised breeder for breeding purposes, an additional fee of $152 is payable in addition to the applicable registration fee listed above.


Does my cat have to be kept inside?

No. The Companion Animals Act does not contain any requirement for a cat curfew or for cats to be kept inside. However cat owners are encouraged to keep them in at night, and roaming cats may be impounded.

What do I have to do to when exercising my dogs?
Dogs must be on a leash and under the control of a competent person at all times while in a public place.

What happens if my animal is taken to the pound?
If the animal is wearing an appropriate identification tag, or is microchipped the owner will be notified of its impoundment. A fee is charged for the animal to be released.

What can I do about nuisance dogs?
Council can issue a Nuisance Order if a dog repeatedly barks, damages other people's property or chases people, animals or vehicles. If you believe a dog is doing these things the owner can be fined. If your neighbours are complaining because your dog barks too much, there are things you can do. Contact the Council for some helpful hints.

For further information please visit the Office of Local Government website. This website contains information and resoruces for dog and cat owners, breeders, pet shops, vets, authorised indentifers and councils in NSW.